Opened in 1882, the Schönbrunn Palm House in Vienna is the most prominent of the four Plant Houses in the Schönbrunn Palace Park and, together with the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Palm House of Frankfurt, is one of the three largest of its kind in the world. It is home to some 4,500 plant species.
As part of the restoration in 1989, the movable windows in the two towers were automated by means of RACO electric cylinders® of the type T1A4. The climatic conditions in combination with the large temperature gradients resulting from direct sunlight were considered a challenge. To this day there have been no technical failures.